Tuesday 30 June 2009

Books, books and more books




I thought I would never say this but my daughter has too many books and I admit that this is entirely my fault.

I have ever so slightly an obsession with books (has gotten much better, I can now bear to borrow them rather than buying and don't mind passing books on - space rules!). When I was little, I owned very few books, funds just never allowed buying books but I loved them. I was a constant visitor to our village library, reading my way from the bottom left of the shelf to the top right, in order from A-Z. When I had run out of books, the librarian, who I adored, got me more books from the bigger library in town.

It was really important to me that my daughter likes books, so I guess I went into overdrive... and I keep buying, can't pass a charity shop without looking in, the book people prospectus is a killer every time... sigh. I have a problem.

But then today, when we sat on the sofa reading one book after the other and discussing them, well then I think: There is no such thing as too many books for a little one. I am amazed by her knowledge of words and grasping how stuff relates to each other and how important it is for her to know if a character is happy, sad, scared, tired etc. It's lovely. Truly lovely.

It truly made my day today, the day was rubbish to start with, but sitting on the sofa reading books for the best part of an hour was so wonderful that it lifted my spirits.

1 comment:

  1. Books are so important! Robyn now sits out on the front door step with her head buried in a book.
    The Bear Under The Stairs is one of my favourite picture books

    ReplyDelete